A bit of a sticky situation
The second the weather dipped below 70 degrees in New York, I went into project-bake mode. Fall is when I’m reminded of why I love baking. Summer baking is wonderful, of course, because it often requires very little effort to make something delicious. But something about that first autumn chill makes me want to get tactile with my baking. For the October Monthly Bake, I wanted to take on something that calls on all our senses and makes baking feel like more of a craft. I imagined walking into my kitchen and smelling enriched yeasted bread entwined with warm fall spices and buttery sweet maple. So was born the idea for maple cardamom sticky buns. And my goodness, bakers, this could be the best Monthly Bake to date. The softest, most pillowy buns ever, with a gooey spiral of spiced filling, shellacked with a maple glaze and eaten warm. It’s my idea of heaven. WATCH: The Best Buns I’ve Ever Made
Two critical steps got me to that dreamy, plush texture. The first is something called a tangzhong, which is a roux-like paste made from scalded milk and flour that helps make the dough super soft and keeps it from getting stale too quickly. The technique is found in a lot of East Asian baking recipes, including milk bread, and I first learned it from the inimitable Claire Saffitz’s morning buns. I arrived at the other technique much less ceremoniously, via TikTok. My boyfriend, Kevin, sent me a “hack” for pouring a little heavy cream into the bottom of the pan before baking canned cinnamon rolls. In the name of research, we cracked open a cylinder of Pillsbury, and were pleasantly surprised at the results. While it definitely improved the rolls, it mainly got my gears turning about how it would work with a homemade version. In tandem, the two techniques produced the best roll or bun I’ve ever had. Of course, the spiral of cardamom filling and sticky maple glaze are the star flavor players, but they’d be nowhere without the dough. I’ve had multiple co-workers tell me I may never top this recipe, and I’m OK with that.
The enriched dough is really sticky, so it’s easiest done in a stand mixer with a dough hook. If you want to make it by hand, just make sure your hands and scraper are greased well. It requires a couple proofs, so if you wake up early enough, you can start the recipe and have them in time for breakfast. But I think they’re even better, and more convenient, after a slow second rise overnight in the fridge. Just factor in a couple hours in the morning to finish proofing and baking them. If you’re a bun novice, don’t fear! They’re much easier than they look. OK, OK. Enough talk. I can’t wait for y’all to try this one. But fair warning: You may be making these every weekend from here on out. The Monthly Bake Share your photos!I’m going to miss seeing those cute bear claws in my inbox, but I can’t wait to be hypnotized by your cardamom spirals. Share your sticky buns with me on Instagram @vaughn or send them to me by email at baketime@nytimes.com. (By submitting photos to us via email, you agree to our reader submission terms here.)
Maple Cardamom Sticky BunsClick here to view this recipe in the app. Total time: Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: About 4 hr (about 1½ hr active time, plus about 2½ hr inactive time) Yield: 12 buns INGREDIENTS For the dough: 1¼ cups/300 grams whole milk ¼ cup water 4½ cups/576 grams all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for rolling 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (one 7-gram packet) ¼ cup/50 grams granulated sugar 2 large eggs 2 teaspoons kosher salt, such as Diamond Crystal or 1 teaspoon fine salt 8 tablespoons/113 grams unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing For the filling: 1 cup/226 grams unsalted butter, softened ¾ cup/165 grams light brown sugar 1 tablespoon ground cardamom 2 teaspoons ground ginger 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon kosher salt, such as Diamond Crystal or ½ teaspoon fine salt ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper For the assembly and glazing: ½ cup heavy cream, for baking 4 tablespoons butter ¼ cup maple syrup 2 teaspoons vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal) or ⅛ teaspoon fine salt ½ cup/51 grams powdered sugar, sifted PREPARATION Start the dough:
Make the tangzhong:
Finish the dough:
Proof the dough:
Roll, fill and cut:
Proof again, then bake:
While the buns are baking, make the glaze:
Thanks for reading (and baking)! See you next week. For a limited time, you can enjoy free access to the recipes in this newsletter in our app. Download it on your iOS or Android device and create a free account to get started. Was this email forwarded to you? You can sign up for Bake Time here. Thanks for reading and cooking. If you like the work we do at New York Times Cooking, please subscribe! (Or give a subscription as a gift!) You can follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest, or follow me on Instagram. Reach out to my colleagues at cookingcare@nytimes.com if you have any questions about your account.
|
Maple. Cardamom. Sticky. Buns.
FREE MICROSOFT CERTIFIED STUDENT'S RESUME/CV BUILDER
CREATE YOUR OWN NOW 👉
Building a Successful, Professional CV/Resume
A well-crafted CV/resume is essential for making a strong impression on potential employers. Follow these key steps:
- Define Your Objective: Identify your career goals and tailor your content to showcase relevant skills.
- Choose a Format: Select a clean font (Arial, Calibri, Helvetica) at 10–12pt size.
- Write a Strong Header: Include full name, phone, email, and LinkedIn profile.
- Highlight Education & Experience: List qualifications and work history in reverse chronological order.
- Showcase Technical & Soft Skills: Highlight software proficiency, leadership, and communication abilities.
- Optimize & Proofread: Target relevant ATS keywords and eliminate spelling errors.
ADVERTISEMENT








